Optical fiber is characterized by increased throughput, which allows you to use it to create fiber-optic communication lines that can provide high-speed data transfer.
FOCL carrier medium is quartz glass. Due to the characteristics of the material, communication lines are characterized by insignificant losses and immunity to the influence of electromagnetic fields.
Similar systems responsible for the transmission of information are often used in the formation of work objects as external highways designed to combine individual buildings and structures, multi-story buildings. It is allowed to use a structural cable system as an internal carrier. The use of FOCL makes it possible to combine workstations in a local network, provide high-speed Internet downloads on all machines at the same time, and organize uninterrupted telephone communications and television signals.
Positive aspects of optical networks
With proper design of the fiber optic system, the characteristic advantages include:
- Low noise. This feature has a positive effect on the bandwidth and the ability to transmit a signal with a variety of modulations;
- Development opportunity. The use of fiber optic lines allows you to increase the computing capabilities of local networks in the future. This can be done by installing high-speed equipment without replacing old communications;
- Increased fire safety. FOCLs at enterprises can be used without any restrictions, even if it is a question of use in premises with increased danger;
- Durability. With proper installation and operation, the FOCL service life is about 25 years. A clear sign of developing a resource is an increase in signal attenuation;
- Information Security. Fiber optic communications provide reliable protection against unauthorized access and interception of confidential information. This is possible due to the lack of radiation in the radio range, as well as increased sensitivity to vibrations. If an attempt is made to listen, the built-in control system will disconnect the channel and warn of a possible hack. It is for this reason that FOCLs are widely used by modern banks, research centers, law enforcement organizations and other structures that have secret information at their disposal;
- Profitability. An optical fiber made of quartz has a cost that is almost 2 times less than the price of a copper cable;
- High reliability and noise immunity. The fiber is an electrical conductor, which makes it insensitive to electromagnetic radiation. Such a cable is not afraid of moisture and oxidation.
Fiber in optical communication lines
The listed advantages are fully present if you use specialized equipment and effective methods of connections when installing FOCL, as well as make professional installation.
As mentioned above, fiber optic cables are used to transmit signals between buildings and inside a variety of objects. It is noteworthy that when forming external communication lines, optical cables are often preferred.
It is allowed to use horizontal cables as connecting cables indoors. At the same time, equipment of individual workplaces is often performed.
Varieties of fibers
To build fiber optic networks, various types of optical fibers can be involved. They vary depending on the material used in the manufacture.
If we are talking about initial raw materials, then glass, plastic or combined fibers can be used for manufacturing. Glasses provide the highest throughput. Plastic is used if the requirements for attenuation and bandwidth are not critical.
If we are talking about the types of paths along which light passes in the fiber core, then on sale you can find single-mode and multimode models. The first variety is characterized by a small core diameter. Only one beam of light can pass through it. Multimode models characterized by a large core diameter can have a gradient or step profile.
Modern fiber optic cables used to create a data line have the same outer diameter of 125 microns. The thickness of the primary buffer coating that performs protective functions is 250 microns; secondary coating - 900 microns.
Optical cable connection technology
The length of the highway can reach several hundred kilometers. When constructing such a route, it is necessary to solve the problem of merging of individual segments.
Fiber optic cable.
The connection can be detachable and one-piece. In the first case, optical connectors are used for fixation, the use of which requires additional financial costs. When it comes to the permanent connection of local sections, mechanical connectors, adhesive splicing or welding of individual segments are used. In the latter case, specialized devices for welding optical fibers are needed.
The most widely used gluing technique. During its implementation, specialized equipment and tools are involved. The fixing process includes several technological operations.
Before joining in the right places, the protective coating and excess fiber are removed.
Epoxy adhesive is used to ensure a secure fit. It fills the internal space of the connector.
For the hardening and drying of the adhesive composition, a specialized oven is used that creates a temperature of 100 degrees.
After the adhesive has hardened, the excess fiber is removed, the tip of the connector is subjected to grinding and polishing.
High accuracy of the performed procedures is ensured through the use of a 200-fold microscope. Polishing is done manually or using specialized equipment.